Friday, July 5, 2013

School

Over the last four weeks, I have been student teacher in a year 3/4 class. It has been interesting, exhausting, fun and a huge learning experience for me. Working full time for the first time ever for more than two weeks (usually working 3 days a week + full time uni) has made me realise lots of things about life. It was my last day today and I got an amazing report from my teacher and the principal. I can't wait to be a teacher! I just wanted to share with you, the things that this prac has made me realise. 

1. These days, people expect you to be contactable ALL. THE. TIME.
Almost every time I checked my phone at lunch during a hectic day teaching, I'd have missed calls, several text messages, facebook messages and snap chats. It felt so overwhelming! Especially when NONE of these messages or phone calls are very important. People expect a reply instantly, even on facebook it seems. I resorted to only checking my phone at the end of the day and felt much better for it. From now on I'm going to try not to check my phone so frequently!


2. You don't have any time to WORRY about pointless things
Here people are, worrying about it being a bit cold/rainy and deciding whether to wear a jacket out on a freezing cold night (*head desk*) and I'd just spend the day trying to get 9 year olds to understand how to tell the time! Working everyday makes you realise that the little things do not matter. When you're at work all day, come home, make dinner and go to bed, you don't have time to dwell on anything. Life becomes more about working and less about what people are wearing/doing or whatever...  

3. I appreciate sleep so much more.
After listening to 20 kids screaming all day, the best bit is knowing you've really earned your sleep that night!

Some of the kids in my class have it really tough, and it makes me realise how very lucky I am to have what I have; especially an amazing dad. Hopefully I can keep these things in mind when uni starts again and I won't be on facebook so much!

xox





No comments:

Post a Comment